FALL CANSKATE 2020 - REGISTRATION OPEN
posted Oct 11, 2020, 11:06 AM
The Port Credit Skating Club is excited to announce that registration is open for our 2020-2021 Fall CanSkate season and we will be skating at our home Port Credit Memorial Arena.
There have been many changes this season due to COVID Protocols. Read this email in its entirety as it contains important information.
In order to register for CanSkate the skaters need to meet the following program requirement:
Skaters must be independent in order to attend the CanSkate programs, meaning they must be able to stand up on their own and do not require any hands-on support for skating. Coaches and PA’s are not permitted to have physical contact with skaters. They also should be able to put on their gloves independently.
The skaters will also require the following equipment in order to participate in the program:
- CSA Approved hockey helmets
- Clean mittens or gloves
- Hard skate guards
- Skate guards should be made of a hard material, they should not have any wheels attached to them as walking up ramps will be required
- Guards can be purchased at most sports stores.
- You can purchase guards from our sponsor Figure Skating Boutique (here).
- Clean face mask
Please register here
- Please review the schedule as the skating session times are different than from previous seasons
- Please select the instalment option at checkout so you will pay one third of program fees at registration and the remaining payments on Nov 1st and Dec 1st. This will be beneficial to both you and the Club, in the event that there are future restrictions that impact us.
Due to COVID restriction the CanSkate you know from previous seasons has changed.
The program has changed as follows:
- Programs will run as 30minute sessions
- There will be no fast track warm-up
- Skaters will do three 10-minute circuits
- Assessments will be maintained online on the club website and no paper report cards will be given
The following protocol will be followed in all CanSkate sessions
- Before leaving home review the self-screening COVID questionnaire (here).
- Skaters should arrive at the arena parking lot 20 minutes before their session start time.
- Skaters should change and put on their equipment in the car (There will be no access to the arena or changing rooms)
- Skates should be put on with their guards on
- Once ready skaters should put on their name tags (will be provided at the first session) and put on their masks and helmets. They do not need to put on their gloves
- Skaters will assemble at the entrance to the facility with 2m physical distancing. Skaters should use the ramp and not walk up the stairs.
- Skaters will be able to enter the facility using the main door. Parents are not allowed in the ice rink, and must wait for their skater in the parking lot. (Spectators are not permitted as per City of Mississauga protocols for the Port Credit Arena- see below)
- The skaters will be met by a volunteer, who will guide them to the appropriate ice entrance based on the group color
- In order to get on the ice skaters will do the following
- Take off their guards, and leave them at a designated spot
- Sanitize their hands
- Put on their gloves and enter the ice surface
- On the ice skaters will be given a designated spot in order to ensure 2m physical distancing
- Coaches will not be able to touch the skaters, if a skater requires assistance the parent will be called.
- When the session end the skaters should line up by the exit door and follow the procedure:
- Put on skate guards
- Remove gloves, sanitize hands
- Skaters will exit the arena using the door at the far end the hallway by Dressing Room 1
- Skaters should be pickup by their parents at the outside door located at the bottom of the ramp. Signage will be posted for the first few weeks.
The City of Mississauga has changed some of their COVID protocols now that we are back at Port Credit Memorial Arena. Please read carefully:
- Parents/guardians and spectators will not be allowed into the Port Credit Memorial Arena at any time
- Skaters must perform passive screening before leave the house, if you answer “yes” to any of the screening questions - stay home! Screening questions are found here (as well as attached to the email)
- Parents/guardians will be asked to wait in the parking lot for their skater and remain physically distanced during this time
- Should a parent be needed to assist a skater, they will be called and may enter the lobby to meet with their skater
- Skaters will enter the arena using the main doors. Skaters will most likely exit from the door facing the parking lot, at the bottom of the outdoor ramp
Before you skate this week, note the following summary of our Club COVID-19 protocols:
- Skaters will be asked by a Club representative (Coach or Volunteer) if they have completed and passed the self screening questions. Please be prepared to answer ‘yes’ since you have completed your self-screening. Otherwise, the skater must complete the full screening questions at the arena and this will delay all skaters from entering the arena
- Physical distancing must be maintained at ALL times. We understand that some skaters are in their own social “bubble”, however, we are asking that physical distancing be strictly maintained while at the arena.
- Keep your hands clean! Perform hand hygiene when entering the arena and when getting on and off the ice. Wear clean skating gloves every day.
- Masks must be worn when in public spaces in the facility and must be worn when entering and exiting the building.
We will further discuss the protocols and answer your questions during our COVID-19 Prevention and Education Virtual Seminar to be held on
Monday October 12th at 7:30 pm:
Wednesday October 14th at 7:30 pm:
We look forward to seeing you back at the rink!
Port Credit Skating Club
OCTOBER 2020 NEWSLETTER
posted Oct 3, 2020, 10:41 AM
COVID-19 has posed many challenges in regards to planning and executing our skating season. The situation remains fluid and unexpected changes to our protocols may be necessary in order to maintain compliance with government restrictions. Skate Canada, Skate Ontario and municipal guidelines must all be taken into consideration to ensure the
safety for our skaters, coaches, volunteers and parents.
2020-2021 Skating Season
Your Port Credit SC Board of Directors has been hard at work planning for the 2020-2021 skating year.
Port Credit Arena
We are pleased to announce that Fall skating sessions will take place at the Port Credit Arena! Arena-specific restrictions are in place for the Port Credit Arena and these will be sent out shortly.
Fall 2020 Skating
Registration for the Fall 2020 skating season (October to December) will soon be open. The number of skaters per session is limited due to restrictions on gathering sizes and, as noted above, could change based on further COVID limitations.
Currently, our CanSkate program cannot accept any skater who requires assistance on the ice (i.e. is unable to already move on their own in skates). Our Coaches and Program Assistants are not permitted to have physical contact with skaters based on Skate Ontario recommendations. Skaters must be independent and able to stand up on their own if
they fall. For this reason, there will be no Pre-CanSkate sessions during Fall 2020. At this time, spectators are not permitted at the Port Credit arena. Fully dressed skaters will be assemble at the arena door and be escorted as a group to and from the ice by our volunteers or coaches. CanSkate sessions will take place on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday for 30 minute sessions. An Adult CanSkate session will also take place on Sundays for those with skating experience.
StarSkate sessions will resume as per Pre-Fall program guidelines with further restrictions due to the return to Port Credit Arena. These will be made clear in updated protocols.
An email will be sent out shortly to announce registration for both our CanSkate and StarSkate programs.
Annual General Meeting (AGM) and Awards Ceremony
The Port Credit Skating Club Annual General Meeting, which was postponed in the Spring, will be taking place on Thursday October 15th at 7:30 pm. Due to COVID restrictions this will be a Zoom meeting. All members are encouraged to attend as we will be holding our awards ceremony to honor our 2019-2020 season skaters as well as voting in our new 2020-2021 season Board of Directors. If you are interested in joining our volunteer Board, please email
firstname.lastname@example.org before October 8th.
We would like to take this opportunity to wish our Port Credit family a happy and healthy Thanksgiving. The Board of Directors is truly thankful for our skating family’s ongoing patience, understanding and generosity through these challenging times.
We look forward to seeing you back at the rink!
Port Credit Skating Club