- The first coach hired by the skater’s parents for private lessons is known as the base or primary coach.
- In accordance with Skate Canada guidelines, parents should discuss adding an additional coach to the skater's team with the base coach prior to approaching another coach.
- If a change in coach is desired, parents must first discuss a coach change with the base coach.
- Please speak to a Board Member for further clarification.
- Click here for all Port Credit Skating Club coach profiles.
- Private lessons are usually arranged for 10-15 minutes at a time.
- Arrangements are made directly with any of the coaches. Fees vary by coach and all payments are made directly to the coach.
- When you have selected a coach contact them to discuss fees, expectations, and date and length of the lessons. Once these areas have been discussed and an agreement reached, you have chosen your base coach.
As with all professional relationships, please note the following etiquette:
- You should discuss your needs and interests with several coaches before choosing one. Coaches’ fees vary and it is proper to discuss fees beforehand.
- If you cannot attend a scheduled lesson, you should advise the coach at least 24 hours in advance. Coaches may charge for lessons not cancelled in advance.
- If you wish to change coaches, you must advise the coach of your intent and ensure that all outstanding bills have been paid.
- In the event that you wish to add a coach, to concentrate on a specialized area, this is done in conjunction with the base coach and both coaches need to be part of the discussion.
You and your skater should discuss expectations with your coach at the beginning of the season and have a written plan from the coach to refer to re: tests, competitions, etc.